If you are planning to close your Microsoft account, maybe because you don’t need it anymore or maybe you have multiple Microsoft account, whatever be the reason of doing away with your Microsoft account, it is suggested to make sure of the following two things:
- Make sure that it is actually you and not someone else trying to delete your account.
- Make sure that you are not leaving anything important that you may need later.
NOTE: Considering the security of your account and prevent it from getting accidentally closed, Microsoft may ask you prove your identity as the rightful owner of the account. For example, if you ever forgot information of your Microsoft account and you recently reset your security info, it is suggested to wait for 60 days before terminating your account.
However, if you have made up your mind to close your Microsoft account, you can follow the step-by-step instructions provided below.
Steps to Delete Microsoft Account
Before following the below mentioned steps to close your Microsoft Account permanently, it is important to know that closing the Microsoft account will also prevent you from signing in to Microsoft products and service you have been using with this account. Following services associated with your account will also get deleted:
- Files saved on OneDrive
- Skype ID and Contacts
- Outlook.com, Hotmail, MSN and Live Email accounts.
- Xbox Live data and GamerTag
- NuGet.org account
Therefore, it is strongly recommended to consider the above-mentioned outcomes and make sure to cancel subscriptions, take a backup of important files, use money from gift cards/emails/Skype credit, manage kids’ Microsoft account, and use the remaining Online Commercial Support benefit. Moreover, make sure to let people know about alternative ways to reach you.
After considering all these aspects, you can follow these steps to close your Microsoft account.
Steps to Close your Account
- On your computer, open a web browser and go to the Microsoft Account Termination page.
- Once you are on the Microsoft Account Termination page, you will be prompted with certain information to consider before closing your account.
- After going through the given information, you will need to click on the Next button.
- On the next page, you will be prompted to review and select the checkbox next to given information to acknowledge that you have reviewed the common account closure consequences.
- After selecting the checkbox next to each information given on the page, you will need to select a reason for closing your account.
- After selecting the appropriate reason, you will need to click on the “Mark account for closure” button.
- On the next screen, you will be shown a message prompting that your account will be closed on the particular date. Simply click on the Done button to complete the termination process.
Steps to Reactivate Your Account
If you ever wish to reactivate your deleted Microsoft account, you can do so by simply signing back n to your account within 60 days. To reopen your account, you will also need to prove your identity as the rightful owner of the account. However, if you are trying to reopen your account after the 60 days of closing your account, unfortunately, you will not be able to do so as Microsoft permanently deleted an account post 60 days of closing it.
Now, as you know how to delete your Microsoft Account, you can close it anytime you wish to. However, make sure to consider the recommendations suggested above.