There can be various reasons that you would want to change the primary email address for your Microsoft Account. Maybe because you changed your email provider, or you wish to change your name or how you want to get addressed, or maybe you wish to use an email address that is easy to remember, or it can also be that you want to use your phone number to sign in instead of email address.
Whatever be the reason, you can easily change your primary email address for Microsoft account by following the step-by-step instructions provided below.
5 Steps to Change Microsoft Account Email
1.) On your computer, open a web browser and sign in to your Microsoft account.
2.) Once you are logged into your Microsoft account, go to Your info section located at the top of the page.
3.) Under Your info section, you will need to select Manage how you sign in to Microsoft option. Clicking on this option may prompt to re-enter your account password or provide the code sent to your email address or phone number linked to your account as security information.
4.) After clearing the verification process, you will be given two options – Add email and Add phone number. As you wish to change your email address, you will need to select Add email option.
NOTE: If you see the message which reads “For security reasons, you need to verify your primary alias before you can add another alias” located the bottom of the page, you will need to either Verify your current primary alias or choose Rename option.
5.) Now to add email, you will need to follow these steps:
- If you wish to create a new email address, select Create a new email address and add it as an alias option, and then follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
- If you have a non-Microsoft email address such as @gmail.com, @yahoo.com, @yandex.com email address that you wish to use with your Microsoft account, you will need to choose Add an existing email address as a Microsoft account alias option.
- If you are adding an existing email address, you will need to verify that you are the rightful owner of that account. Click on the Verify option next to the alias you added. You will receive a message to that email address for verification.
- When you get the verification email, you will need to click on the link provided to verify that you own the account.
- Make sure that the email address you enter is not being used already as a Microsoft account alias.
Now, once you have added the email address to your account, you can use it as your primary alias by following these steps:
- Go to the Manage your account aliases page and select Make primary option under the email address which you wish to use as your primary email address.
And, this is how you can easily change the primary email address in your Microsoft account.