February 15, 2022 / Lily Collins
Forward Gmail to ProtonMail – Steps to Migrate from Gmail to ProtonMail
Looking for an email service that is as reliable and trustworthy as Gmail? Consider ProtonMail! A secure email based in Switzerland, ProtonMail is known for offering an “ad-free email service that safeguards your personal conversations with strong encryption”. If you are transferring from Gmail, this short guide will assist you with the best solution. Read on to know all the steps required to forward Gmail to ProtonMail.
12 Quick Steps to Forward Gmail to ProtonMail
Transferring or forwarding your emails from one service provider to another may feel as difficult as shifting to a new place. But ProtonMail is not another email service. It is well-maintained by scientists at CERN who leave no stone unturned to protect your privacy by encrypting your messages and attachments.
You must now be assured that you haven’t made any wrong decision by choosing ProtonMail over other email providers to migrate your Gmail messages from. What are you waiting for? Let’s get started with the steps below –
- Go to “Settings” in your Gmail account.
- Navigate to the section “Forwarding and POP/ IMAP”.
- Click “Add” a forwarding address.
- It will prompt you to enter your new email address. Here, you must enter your ProtonMail address in the desired field.
- After entering the email address, click on the “Next” option.
- Now, click on the “Proceed” button.
- It should send you a confirmation message to your ProtonMail account. So, log into your ProtonMail account and look for any confirmation message from Google.
- Upon finding it, click on it. The process will verify your ProtonMail address. When it finds the given email address is correct, it will confirm. After that, the forwarding process will start.
- Refresh your Gmail account and go to the “Forwarding and POP/ IMAP” section.
- Here, click on the option “Forward a copy of incoming mail”.
- Click on your ProtonMail address (this can be done from the drop-down menu).
- Click on the “Save Changes” button.
You have successfully forwarded the messages.
How to Forward Contacts from Gmail to ProtonMail?
ProtonMail can certainly safeguard your contacts as it uses the world’s first encrypted contacts manager. So, what is an encrypted contacts manager? The new tool uses zero-access encryption to secure the details of your contacts. The contact fields are encrypted in such a way that even ProtonMail cannot read them, except you. Only you can decrypt and read them.
If you want to create an encrypted contact list, follow two steps – export to a CSV file and import it to ProtonMail. Let’s learn how to export your contacts in your Gmail account to a CSV file –
- Go to any contact in your Google contacts and check the box that shows up.
- Click on the arrow “Selection Actions” and “All” (in the top menu).
- Look for the “More actions” in the top left.
- Select “Export”.
- Again, select “Export” in the new window.
It is time for the second step or method – import the CSV file to ProtonMail.
- Use your ProtonMail credentials and log into your account.
- In the left menu, click on the “Import” option.
- Drop the CSV file in the box.
- Click on “Import”.
That’s it! You have forwarded Gmail contacts to your ProtonMail address.