While the Outlook email program lets you easily send and receive emails to and from the recipients, it also allows you to know whether a recipient has read your email or not. You do get a delivery receipt in your Outlook program that confirms the delivery of your email, however, it does not ensure that whether the recipient has seen it or read it. In order to know if the recipient has opened and read your email, you will need to get a read receipt in your Outlook program. To know how to add and request read receipt and delivery notification in your Outlook program, follow the information provided below.
Guide to Add and Request Read Receipts and Delivery Notification in Outlook
NOTE: In Outlook, the recipient of the email message can decline to provide read receipts. There are numerous scenarios where read receipts are not sent to the sender, for example, when the recipient's email program doesn’t support read receipts service. In such a case, there is no option that you can use to ask a recipient to send a read receipt.
Not considering such scenarios, below are the steps that you can follow to add and request read receipts and delivery notification in your Outlook program.
- Launch Outlook email program on your computer and click on the File option located on the top-left corner of the window. This will open a drop-down menu on your screen.
- From the drop-down menu, you will need to select Options and then the Mail option.
- Now, in the Tracking section, you will need to select the checkbox next to –
- Delivery receipt confirming that the email was delivered to the e-mail server of the recipient e-mail server.
- Read receipt confirming the recipient viewed the message.
NOTE: It is recommended to consider tracking only single emails of importance and not all emails. Generally, you will find that the recipients who occasionally receive a notification about a read receipt being requested for your email are more likely to provide a read receipt. If you will prompt recipients for the read receipt for every email you send, they are more likely to avoid providing you with the read receipt.
- Once you are done, you will need to click on the OK button to apply and save your changes.
To Track a Single message
- In a new email message on your Outlook program, go to the Options menu.
- In the Options section, click on the Tracking group and select the checkbox next to Request a Delivery Receipt and Request a Read Receipt.
- Next, you will need to compose your email and click on the Send button.
To Track Receipt Responses
- In your Outlook email program, you will need to open the original email you sent with a request for a delivery receipt and/or read receipt. Generally, you will find this message located in the Sent Items folder of your Outlook email program.
- Now, you will need to go to the Message tab and select the Tracking option in the Show group.
So, these are the steps you will need to follow in order to add and request Read Receipts and Delivery Notifications in your Outlook email program.