Though there are more than numerous email service providers in the industry, not all of them offer a secure platform that users prefer. If you are looking for an email service that not only can offer you secure mailing platform but also all the necessary features and functions for carrying out various email tasks effortlessly, then this guide can help you. Here, you will find the list of best secure email service providers that you can use to meet your personal or professional emailing obligations.
List of Best Secure Email Services
Hushmail is one of the best and oldest encrypted email services in the industry that allows you to store your emails securely with modern encryption methods. The security offered by Hushmail is so strong that even the email service provider itself can’t read your email messages; only the person with your password can get access to your emails. Not only you can send encrypted emails to Hushmail users but also to the user having an account with Gmail, Outlook Mail, or such other email clients.
- Supports IMAP and POP
- 10 GB storage space
- Two-step verification
- Import contacts using a CSV file
- Spam filter and auto-responder
- Free account comes with less storage space.
- Need to provide an alternate email address and phone number at the time of sign-up and verification.
This German-built email service, Tutanota allows you to use encrypted emails on all devices using their open source email client, mobile applications, and desktop. All emails sent from the Tutanota are encrypted to the receiver and are decrypted only on the device.
The private encryption key is not available to anyone else. While only the Tutanota email account is you need to exchange secure emails with users of Tutanota, if you wish to exchange encrypted email outside the system, you will need to specify a password for the recipient to use for viewing the message. Also, the same interface allows you to reply securely. The web interface of Tutanota is user-friendly, allowing you to make an email private or not with a single click.
- Application available for Android and iOS
- Comes with 1 GB of storage space
- Includes Spam filtering
- Open source
- Some features such as email rules and aliases are only available for paid accounts.
- Cannot import contacts in bulk.
- Doesn’t support IMA
ProtonMail is similar to Tutanota when it comes to design and security level. This Switzerland based email service is a free, open source that allows users to easily exchange encrypted email messages. ProtonMail can easily work from any computer through the website, Android and iOS mobile applications.
As ProtonMail features end-to-end encryption, no one can read the emails sent from the email service except the recipient. The email service is so secure that you can’t even recover your account if you ever forget its password.
- Doesn’t keep your IP address information.
- Plenty of keyboard shortcuts for carrying out various email tasks.
- Capable of downloading your PGP keys.
- Less storage space (500 MB)
- Limitation of 150 messages per day
Mailfence is another email service which features end-to-end encryption to make sure that no one other than the recipient can read your email messages. The email service comes with both an email address and web interface which integrates OpenPGP public key encryption as any email program would. With Mailfence, you can create a key pair for your account, using which you can manage a store of keys for people you wish to send encrypted email messages.
- Advertisement free
- User can easily customize email settings.
- Emails in the EML format can be imported easily.
- Less storage space of 200 MB (free version)
- The software of Mailfence is not available for inspection as it is not an open source program.
Last but not least, CounteMail is well known for offering a secure execution of OpenPGP encrypted email in the browser. CounterMail servers only store encrypted emails. Also, the CounterMail servers don’t keep your emails on Hard Disks and all data is stored on CD-ROMs only. By doing so, CounterMail tries to prevent data from getting leaker, and if anyone tries to hinder the server directly, the data gets lost.
Moreover, CounterMail allows you to set up a USB driver to enhance the encryption of your email messages; the decryption key is kept on the device which is also required to access your account. This helps you in securing your account even when a hacker gets access to your password.
- Allows you to modify settings options
- Email filter support
- Works in a browser and also through iOS app
- Added physical security of the USB device makes CounterMail a bit inconvenient to use.
- Only one-week free trial is provided
So, these are some of the top secure email service providers that you can use.