February 15, 2022 / Lily Collins
AOL IMAP Not Working? How to Fix?
If you are accessing your AOL mail account through a third-party email client such as Microsoft Outlook or Thunderbird and experiencing trouble sending or receiving email messages, the problem could be occurring due to incorrect configuration of your AOL email account on the email program or IMAP not working. To know how to fix the “AOL IMAP not working” issue, go through the information provided below.
Table of Contents
Guide to Fix “AOL IMAP Not Working” Issue
There are a couple of workarounds that you can consider when experiencing an issue with AOL IMAP settings. These workarounds include:
Keep Your AOL Mail Account Password Up to Date
Generally, the most common reason responsible for the issue with “AOL IMAP not working” is using an old account password. If you have recently changed the password of your AOL email account but haven’t updated the same on the email client with which you have configured your AOL Mail account, you may face problem sending or receiving emails. In order to overcome this problem, you will need to update your new password in the IMAP settings of your AOL mail account on the email client. Just locate the Email Accounts or Account Settings of your email application, select your AOL Mail account, and update your new password.
Check Your IMAP Settings for AOL Mail Account
Another common reason that causes trouble sending or receiving email is the configuration of the AOL Mail account with incorrect IMAP/POP settings. Although there are two protocols (IMAP and POP) are available to configure your AOL Mail account on an email client, it is recommended to always use IMAP as it works best with AOL Mail. Below are the correct settings that you should use to configure your AOL Mail account on a third-party email client.
IMAP Settings for AOL Mail
Incoming mail server (POP3): imap.aol.com
Outgoing mail server
POP Settings for AOL Mail
Incoming mail server (POP3): pop.aol.com
Outgoing mail server
If you are using Outlook to access your AOL Mail account, you can follow these steps to configure your AOL Mail account correctly on Outlook.
1.) Launch Outlook on your computer and click on the File tab located on the top-left corner of the Outlook window. Select Info and then go to the Account settings option.
2.) Click on the New option located on the top-left corner and select Manually configure server settings or additional server types. Then, click on the Next button.
3.) Choose Internet E-mail option and click on the Next button.
4.) Now, you will need to manually enter information similar to the following.
- Your Name: Enter your name
- Email Address: Enter your complete email address
- Account Type: IMAP
- Incoming mail server: imap.aol.com
- Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.aol.com
- User Name: Enter your complete username
- Password: Enter your password
- Tick Remember password
5.) Next, click on the More Settings button. A new window will pop up. Go to the Outgoing Server tab and select the following options:
- My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication
- Use same settings as my incoming mail server
6.) Then, go to the Advanced tab (in the same window) and verify the following information:
Server Port Numbers
- Incoming Server (IMAP): 993
- Use the following type of encrypted connection: SSL
- Outgoing server (SMTP): 465 or 587
- Use the following type of encrypted connection: TLS/Auto
Click on the OK button.
7.) After that, select the checkbox next to Test Account Settings clicking the Next button. If everything would have been entered correctly, both the tasks will get completed successfully.
8.) Finally, close the window by clicking Next and Finish when prompted and you will find your AOL Mail account configured in your Outlook main window.
Update Your Email Client Application
Sometimes using an older version of email client can also cause issues sending or receiving emails in your AOL Mail account. If you are using an older version of the email program to access your AOL Mail account, you may experience compatibility problems with the latest security settings of AOL mail. Therefore, it is suggested to keep your email client updated with the latest version.
Try Uninstalling and Reinstalling AOL Mail Account (For iPhone)
If the workarounds mentioned above doesn’t help you overcome the issue with your AOL Mail account on an email application, you can try fixing the issue by uninstalling and reinstalling AOL Mail on your email program. Below are the steps you can follow to uninstall and reinstall AOL Mail on iPhone.
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone, tap on the menu option, and then press the Settings icon.
- Once you are in the settings section of your iPhone, you will need to scroll down and locate the Accounts and Password option. Tap on it.
- In the Accounts and Password section, you will see a list of mail accounts which you access through your iPhone. Here, you will need to tap on the AOL mail. You will be taken to the AOL Mail settings section.
- Once you are in the AOL Mail settings section, you will need to tap on the Delete Account and then on the Delete from My iPhone option.
- Then, go back to the main menu wait until your phone synchronizes the new setting.
- After that, go back to Settings > Account and Password option. Scroll down and tap on the Add account option in the Account and Password section.
- As you will tap on the Add account option, you will be directed to the next screen where you will see the list of email services.
- From the given list, you will need to select the AOL option. Then, when prompted to enter your AOL username and password in the provided fields on the next screen, follow the on-screen prompts to set up your AOL Mail account on your iPhone.
- Re-configuring your AOL Mail account on iPhone should help you overcome the “AOL IMAP not working” problem.
So, these are the workarounds that you will need to follow in order to fix the “AOL IMAP not working” issue in your AOL Mail account on an email program.